I started this project to showcase some of the new visual design skills I learned from courses on Awwwards and Domestika . This project focused on creating branding, UI design and animation concepts for a fictional company. Please check out my portfolio redesign project if you’d like to read a standard case study about solving user pain points.
I looked online for a design brief to give me an initial direction. I found an interesting brief for a photography/videography agency, modified it a little and used the revised version.
The deliverables of this project are listed below...
I wanted to dig deeper than the client-provided brief, so I completed a client questionnaire for the studio (acting as the studio myself) to collect the verbal and theoretical material to feed my design work.
The insight gathered from the research phase helped me to define the challenge differently.
Create a visual identity for web and print that takes inspiration from vintage analogue cameras, dark blue tones and gradients to create an alternative, modern, mildly technical look and feel.
I created a mood board of 15 visuals, mainly from graphic design and photography, to convey the future mood of the website. I wanted to capture colours, typography and emotions.
I created a logo symbol representing an aperture, the opening in a lens through which light passes to enter a camera. I selected PP Fraktion Mono as the brand's typeface due to its expressive clarity and monospaced design, which helps to reinforce the grid, creating a slightly technical feel.
Using the moodboard and the brief, I created two brand identity posters to visualize the brand's mood. Small text, symbols, geometric shapes, outlines, the heavy use of grids, a shimmering grain effect, offsets and blurs categorize the brand's visual identity.